- Merck Foundation announced the winners of Merck Foundation Africa Research Summit – MARS Awards winners 2022, 7 Researchers from 7 different African Countries recognized for two categories - Best African Women Researchers and Best Young African Researchers.
- Merck Foundation Africa Research Summit - MARS 2022 Awards was in partnership with African Union Scientific Technical Research Commission.
- Merck Foundation also announces the Call for Applications for Merck Foundation Africa Research Summit – MARS Awards 2023 to empower Women and Youth in STEM in Africa with special focus on scientific research in Women Health and Infertility & Reproductive Health.
- The 2033 MARS Awards will emphasize the collaboration between Merck Foundation and Internationale Federation of Fertility Societies -IFFS, Africa Reproductive Care Society - ARCS, Manipal University and African Union Scientific Technical Research Commission.
Merck Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Merck Germany announced the winners of Merck Foundation Africa Research Summit (MARS) Awards 2022 announced in partnership with African Union (Scientific Technical Research Commission) to recognize African Researchers for their valuable research work and contribution to empowering women and youth in STEM in Africa with special focus on Scientific Research in Infectious Diseases and Cancer Research.
Senator Dr. Rasha Kelej, CEO of Merck Foundation and Chairperson of Merck Foundation Africa Research Summit -MARS expressed, “Like every year since 2016, I am extremely proud of MARS 7 winners who have been recognized under the two categories of ‘Best African Women Researchers Awards’ and ‘Best Young African Researcher Awards’ for their valuable contribution in research, especially by African Female Researchers who are under presented in this field, as we all know. Through Merck Foundation African Research Summit – MARS Awards, we aim to empower African young researchers and of course to empower and encourage African women researchers through advancing their research capacity and promote their contribution to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).”
The winners of ‘Best African Women Researchers Awards’ and ‘Best Young African Researcher Awards’ will be enrolled into research training at a premier research institute in India.
The MARS 2022 Award Winners are:
Winners of “MARS Best African Women Researchers Awards”
- Gladys Kaba, Ghana
- Amaya Jobin Habila, Nigeria
- Shingirai Chiwambutsa, South Africa
- Ededia Firdawoke, Ethiopia
Winners of “MARS Best Young African Researchers Awards”
- Abu Bakarr Kamara, Sierra Leone
- Fongang Che Landis, Cameroon
- Eze Ajaegbu, Nigeria
Merck Foundation Africa Research Summit - MARS 2022 had a scientific support from African Union Scientific, Technical and Research Commission (AU-STRC), Infectious Diseases Institute, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Graduate School.
“I am also excited to announce the Call for Applications for our prestigious Merck Foundation Africa Research Summit (MARS) Awards 2023. ‘The Role of Scientific Research in Women Health and Infertility & Reproductive Health’ will be the key focus this year. Eventually, through these awards, Merck Foundation aims to empower Women Researchers and young African researchers to strengthen the important role research plays towards contributing to public health thus improving healthcare capacity with special focus on women health, infertility and reproductive health in Africa,” added Senator, Dr. Rasha Kelej.
MARS 2023 of Merck Foundation will be in partnership with African Reproductive Care Society (ARCS), International Federation of Fertility Societies (IFFS), Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and African Union Scientific Technical Research Commission.
MARS aims to contribute to building research capacity in the African research community.
Details for MARS AWARDS 2023
Abstracts are invited from final year African PhD students and young investigators involved in research related to either of the following topics:
1) Women Health
2) Infertility and Reproductive Health
The applicants should be primarily based at African Research Institutes and Universities.
Last Date of Submission:
Applications can be submitted till 31st July 2023
How to apply:
Applications and abstracts can be submitted via email to [email protected] along with CV (including Name, Gender, Country, University/Hospital Name, Email address, Mobile Number) and the abstract document as an attachment.
- All Abstracts will be peer reviewed.
- Research Awards will be dedicated for two categories of Best African Women Researchers and Best Young Africa Researchers
- Winners will be eligible for Research Training in prestigious Research Institute in India.
Click on the link below to download Merck Foundation App
Join the conversation on our social media platforms below and let your voice be heard
Facebook: Merck Foundation
Instagram: Merck Foundation
Flickr: Merck Foundation