The innovative program is being launched at a critical time, with many Indians overwhelmed by the ongoing pandemic and finding it even harder to cope with debilitating conditions that affect the skin, joints and gastrointestinal system.
Janssen India’s Head of Medical Affairs, Dr. Jitendra Dixit said that conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, axial spondyloarthropathy and inflammatory bowel disease had a “huge toll” on the mental and physical health of those affected.5,6
Research shows that people living with inflammatory disorders are at increased risk of depression and anxiety, with those most affected also experiencing worse disease activity.7
“At Janssen, we are committed to improving the lives of people living with chronic immunological disorders through the provision of high-quality information and support with our new icare4u program,” said Dr. Dixit.
In India, 5.2% people are living with rheumatoid arthritis,1 6% suffer from axial spondyloarthropathy,2 up to 2.8% people live with psoriasis,3 of which 5 to 10% develop psoriatic arthritis,2 and around 16.2 per 100,000 population live with inflammatory bowel diseases such as ulterative colitiis and Crohn’s disease.4
Research reveals that up to four-in-ten people with rheumatoid arthritis suffer from depression and one-in-four are affected by anxiety.8,9 Half of those living with psoriatic arthritis,10 two thirds of those with axial spondyloarthropathy11 and a third of those with inflammatory bowel disease12 are affected by depression.
Understanding the challenges faced by patients and caregivers, the icare4u program offers support tools to help navigate the health challenges many people affected by these conditions face.
The icare4u program features a dedicated website, with comprehensive information about the diseases, videos with medical experts, and a social media community for patients and caregivers on Facebook and YouTube.
The information and support tools provided are specific to rheumatoid arthritis, axial spondyloarthropathy, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis and Chron’s disease.
For more information on icare4u, please visit our Facebook page, YouTube channel and Website https://www.icare4u.health/.
1. International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases 2016; 19: 440–451.
2. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2018;77:1735-1736.
3. Indian J Med Res. 2017 Aug; 146(2): 147–149.
4. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020; 5: 17–30
5. J Rheumatol Suppl. 2011 Nov; 88: 55-61.
6. Front Psychiatry. 2019; 10: 131.
7. Autoimmune Diseases. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2017;31:139-154
8. Rheumatology 2013.52(12):2136–2148.
9. International journal of rheumatic diseases. 2016;19: 440-451.
10. Clin Rheumatol 2020;39: 217–225.
11. Arthritis Res Ther. 2018; 20: 140.
12. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2018.37(4):307-312.